Here is the report for the 4th Annual Long Beach Comic & Horror Convention held in Long Beach, California 2013. A fun convention with the ability to interact with the creators in a more personal, less-heavy traffic convention compared to San Diego Comic Con. Attendance seemed a little lower this year than last year with the possibility of the Con being held after Halloween this year and also not being part ofa "Zombie Walk" that Long Beach held last year to try and break a record. A few non-returning creators such as David Finch, Bob Layton, etc. also meant a few less artists to drive fans on attending both Saturday and Sunday. My eye spotted less buyers as well unless a booth had 50% off trades or the one 50 cent back issue booth which stayed packed. Purchasing your tickets in advance allowed you to get a free copy of Creator Owned Heroes by Jimmy Palmiotti and Steve Niles with a special Long Beach Con cover by Amanda Conner as well as a 30 minute early admittance to the convention on Saturday. Photo Report Review! Images are called out clock-wise. A. The convention and cosplayers.
The line to get in the comic convention which is at the bottom floor at the Long Beach Convention Center with panels on the main floor. There was an indoor garden expo happening that same weekend.
Thundercat's Cheetarah and Pumyra
Lady Punishers x2
Walking Dead-type Zombie
Baroness and Ms. Marvel
Stilt-Waking Spider-Lady with Dr. Who and Angel Baseball Fan
B. The Artists & Creators
JonBoy Meyers (G.I. Joe, Hulk)
Tim Vigil (Faust)
Bernard Chang (Deadpool, Wonder Woman)
Trent Kaniuga (Creed, Ghost Rider, Twilight Monk)
Amanda Conner (Silk Spectre, Power Girl)
Tommy Yune (Speed Racer, Robotech) being interviewed
Here's my quick recap and "photo" report from this past weekend's "Stan Lee's Comikaze Expo" for 2013. A lot bigger than last year's "parking garage" set-up at the LA Convention Center from 2012. More A-list comic creators such as McFarlane, JS Campbell, McKone, Tony Moore, etc. from 2012 which continued this year with Marc Silvestri, J. Scott Campbell, Chris Burnham, Joe Jusko and others as well as the usual mid-tier celebs hawking expensive autographs.
Captions will be listed in semi left-to-right reading order.
1. The lines and entry to the event. Parking was a lot easier if you got in via the back of the center. Long lines for pre-purchasers, heard almost that it stretched half-way around the convention center outside in one of the hottest days of the Summer in LA.
The security lines got long, but still, the con-goers were cool and didn't cause any issues with the waiting.
Images of the main stage during the masquerade contest.
2. The comic creators and artists!
1. Jason Scott Campbell. Selling prints and sketch books. Commented on my Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe reprints with his cover that it was the first time he's seen it out.
2. Amy Mebberson doing some cute Disney art commissions.
3. Marc Silvestri doing an interview. Super-long wait since everyone and their dogs wanted a photo with him. So many statues signed.
4. Joe Benitez getting his Lady Mechanika books ready.
5. An artist doing a really super-fast robot sketches, Megatron.
6. Transformer artist Livio Ramiodelli.
3. The Actors & Celebrities *ahem*
1. Batman's Adam West checking out the comic aisles.
2. Catwoman, Julie Newmar signing for fans. Had on cat ears!
Here's my photo bomb report that was San Diego Comic Con 2012. A fun convention that has become too big for its own good and is quickly losing its "comic" convention heritage in favor of media conglomerates.
*Photo descriptions noted from top-down, left-to-right...
1. The line and convention center.
-Line to get into the Main Hall -Image Comics booth -Outside of convention view from the Hilton
2. The Artists 1
- Frank Cho (Liberty Meadows, Mighty Avengers) - Mark Schultz (Xenozoic Tales/Cadillacs and Dinosaurs) - Jock (Judge Dredd, Detective Comics) - CP Wilson III (Stuff of Legend) - David Mack (Kabuki, Daredevil)
3. The Artists 2
- Jim Balent (Catwoman, Tarot) - Kevin Eastman (TMNT, Heavy Metal) - Peter Nguyen (Gotham City Sirens, Arkham City) - Brent Anderson (Astro City) - Dan Jurgens (Superman, Booster Gold) - Serigo Aragones (Groo, MAD) - Steve Leialoha (Fables, Spider-Woman)
4. The Artists 3
- J. Scott Campbell (Gen13, Spider-Man) - Larry Hama (GI Joe, Wolverine) - William Tucci (Shi, Sgt. Rock) - Herbe Trimpe (Hulk, GI Joe) - Trevor Von Eeden (Batman, Black Lightning) ... and on the last few minutes on Sunday at the con, a very tired Francis Manapul (The Flash, 7 Warriors) along with Agnes Garbowska (You, Me and Zombie).
5. The Ladies 1
- Star Trek girl made-up to look like Frank Cho's SDCC print (@ Cho's booth) - Star Trek girl & bad Mary Marvel. - Power Girl - Harley Quinn
6. The Ladies 2
- Batgirl - Emma Frost - Lady Deadpool & Mompool - Magik - Catwoman - Lady Thor'ess - Steampunk Lara Croft - Tat'd Booth Lady - Elle Driver (California Mountain Snake) from Kill Bill - Katniss from Hunger Games