Warwick, NY: MAD Event Management LLC, owners and operators of several pop culture conventions, formally announce the upcoming Long Beach Comic Con, scheduled for September 8-9, 2018, at the Long Beach Convention Center, located in Long Beach, CA. This iteration of Long Beach Comic Con – its 10th edition - marks a significant milestone for the event and its loyal fans, exhibitors and supporters from the creative community, one not lost on its Founder, Martha Donato.
“When I launched Long Beach Comic Con back in 2009, my hope was simply to create a meaningful and enjoyable event for fans of all ages and give something back to the comic community that supported me for many years,” said Donato, President of MAD Event Management. “To be sitting here today, planning for our 10th edition and reflecting on all we’ve accomplished in those years is both humbling and energizing.”'
While the producers of Long Beach Comic Con have never been shy about experimenting with new programming and exhibition ideas, all were in agreement that the best way to celebrate the 10th edition would be to remain true to its roots.
“We are enthusiastically recommitting our focus to comic storytelling and the creative arts, first and foremost,” added Kris Longo, Managing Director of Long Beach Comic Con. “Our goal is to create an event that empowers the casual fan to explore comics in a deeper way, and to satisfy the fans who rightfully feel that many cons – including our own – have shifted focus away from comic programming.”
Making his Long Beach Comic Con debut and serving as the show’s Guest of Honor will be Eisner Award-nominated comic book writer and novelist Christopher Priest (BLACK PANTHER, STATIC SHOCK). “Having Christopher Priest as our convention's Guest of Honor helps emphasize the COMICS-FIRST focus of Long Beach Comic Con," says Ivan Cohen, Director of Programming of Long Beach Comic Con. "Even though the movies BLACK PANTHER, CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR, and BATMAN BEGINS were all directly influenced by his comics work, he's known as a comics writer, editor, and creator more than anything else.”
To further that comics-first approach, the event will feature a significant increase in participating comic book publishers, including long-time supporters Aspen Comics, Top Cow and Prism Comics, while welcoming newcomers Valiant Comics (in partnership with Los Angeles-area retailer The Comic Bug), AfterShock and Charon Comics, with more to be announced in the coming weeks. Long Beach Comic Con’s guest slate continues to take shape, with legendary writer Marv Wolfman, co-creators of the landmark graphic novel THE ALCOHOLIC Dean Haspiel and Jonathan Ames, and illustrators Jim Calafiore and JK Woodward.
In addition to the comic programming, this year’s festivities will include:
– Space Expo will have a con-within-a-con show floor experience and dedicated panel track with experts in their respective scientific fields talking about our biggest and most current findings alongside displays from actual space exploration and interactive experiments your kids (or big kids) will be talking about for weeks!
– GeekFest Film Festival will provide two solid days of indie movie bliss, often with the film makers themselves on hand to discuss the ins and outs of their creations. Hosted by Gigi Edgley, the GeekFest Best of Screening and Awards will hand out awards to the best films as voted on by the viewers.
– KnokX PRO Wrestling Ring featuring RIKISHI is where comics and pro wrestling collide. Featuring two days of programming, matches in an official wrestling ring, and opportunities to meet wrestling superstars, including Rikishi himself, KnokX PRO Wrestling will be a fun addition to the show.
– LBCC’s Cosplay Contest will give the West Coast’s most inventive and artistic costuming wizards the chance to show off their fantastic talents and compete for prizes in categories including Best in Show, Best Fabrication, Best Construction, Best Couple/Group, Best SciFi, Best Anime, Best Villain, Best Hero and Best Kid.
– Comic Creator Conference on September 7th is an event designed to connect professional comic creatives with other high-level industry professionals to empower them with exclusive and personal insight, as well as provide access to decision makers, peers, publishers, and other leaders within the industry. Learn how to make smart business decisions on the path to taking creations into film, television, and interactive entertainment. Note that this event has a nominal, separate fee for entry and is open to industry professionals ONLY.
Long Beach Comic Con tickets are on sale NOW. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for more details on upcoming limited VIP packages, photo ops and more announcements about your favorite guests and programming. Kids 10 and under get in FREE!