Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News

Comic Book Resources

Friday, January 15, 2010

Golf Equipment Review: MacGregor MacTec NVG2 Driver

Its been a while since I’ve done a golf equipment review, so for the new 2010 year I will try harder to give all you budget minded golfers my personal reviews on value-priced equipment that I’ve personally tried. So here’s the first golf review of the decade!

Comments: Recently replaced a few months back my previous MacGregor MacTec NVG2 10.5 degree driver. While I really like my MacGregor NVG2 3-wood, the driver just didn’t have the pop or additional distance I was hoping for.

The MacTec NVG2 3 wood is a blast to hit, crisp metallic sound, thin face for hitting off the deck and provided me a good 210-225 yards off the tee. I was hoping for the same magic when I got the driver and the honeymoon did not last long. The NVG2 driver afforded me approximately about 5-10 additional yards only when I hit the face on the sweet spot. If I mis-hit the shot (which I almost always do), then the carry would just be the same as the 3-wood. The sound of the hit was also totally different than the fairway wood, while the 3-wood had a nice high metallic sound, the driver had a low, almost tinny sound to it. The best sound I’ve had from a driver was the first generation Cleveland HiBore with the smashing metallic sound that made even my bad drives sound like pure zingers. The MacTec NVG2 driver lacked the sound and performance overall.

For those looking for traditional looks, the NVG2 line was not for you. It had an almost all chorme-like silver exterior with rivot-looking weights on the sole. The Fujikura shaft was a Regular flex for me and did an ok performance. Grip though was a minus, MacGregor used a corded grip, which for oft-tight grippers like me would cause blisters. As mentioned, the sweet spot on the face was small compared to other 440cc faces I’ve tried, causing hooks/draws when not properly hit, odd for a game improvement driver to not have such forgiveness.

The headcover had a nice black look with a zipper so a player didn’t have to struggle pulling the cover over. While I’ve read others say the zipper scratched the gofl shaft, that didn’t happen to me.

If you would like to try out this driver, you should be able to find a good price for it as it was not a hot seller. Since the performance wasn’t for me, I do recommend the looks of it, I’m into the modern look and its mechanical silver exterior looks like a space ship on its way to knock your golf ball into outer space.

Score: 2 out of 5

2 comments:

golfshop said...

golf driver, then you must consider some important considerations before making a decision. You can go through various reviews of golf driver before using it. Comments can always be regarded as one of the best sources of accurate information on the latest drivers. You can also start your search by searching around 2010 golf-specific estimates of the net. As soon as you make your purchase is also a good idea to try to discover the exact amount of your experience in the game. So if you're a beginner, so the larger head drivers is a good option. This is also one of the best ways to ensure that you hit the ball far distance.

Golfschlaeger said...

There are others who can be equally effective and, of course, become the type of controller must match the style of golfer and the game. But no matter how advanced their drivers are not allowed to play if you stop working on improving your changes of bad cuts, and hooks. You may have to invest in golf lessons before wasting expensive equipment as the equipment itself does not win the game. We can only see the results that the best drivers promising if we continue to practice first and stop blaming drivers of bad drives.

Comics Alliance