Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News

Comic Book Resources

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Golf Review: Intech Ripper Driver Review: 5/10/07

Comments: Tried out the Intech Ripper driver (I guess considered Orlimar's more generic redheaded stepchild by King Par, the same manufacturer as Orlimar, Affinity, and Knight brands) on the course today and I was impressed with it, even my playing partner who was with me was impressed on it's distance.

I'm a high handicapper at the moment (20+) and currently using a TaylorMade R7 460 draw with 13 degree head and an upgraded Aldila NV 75S stiff flex shaft (I originally got this since I needed fast help with my slices and to get the ball up in the air easier since I had a slow swing speed in the beginning). Now that I'm better handling my swing with a driver I've been looking for a lower lofted driver (10.5-11 degrees) with a regular flex since the 13* driver I have pops up in the air too much nowadays. This Intech Ripper driver actually comes with an Aldila shaft. Never heard of this version, it's a "Reflex" version shaft name with low torque and high modulus (what is that?). Regular flex with reactive technology. Surprised it didn't come with Winn grips like the John Daly Dunlop drivers also at Walmart at the same price.


So I busted out the Intech Ripper on the first par 4 288 yarder on the course (I did the same course the day before with my TaylorMade) and hit the ball square on to about 235 yards which was on track the same distance I did the other day with my TaylorMade but actually a bit straighter. Good launch angle and good flex on the generic Aldila shaft. I used the driver on about 3 more holes and actually got maybe 10+ yards more than the prior day. Now this is probably that we were on a slower pace so I was able to line up my drives better and got my swing on a groove. There was one hole that I took a couple extra drives to see how much I could belt the Intech Ripper and I got a couple "thunk" sounds but they still went about 150+ yards and stayed pretty fairly on the course. The big positive I can say about the driver is that even though it's square it sounds like my TM driver with a nice medium pitch "click" sound when hit properly down the fairway and none of the aluminum bat sound as the Sumo2 and FT-i.

Though the Intech Ripper head cover is pretty weird looking, it actually pops on and off super-fast compared to the sock covers, the only thing I see that might go bad is the locking mechanism that attaches to the shaft might wear down and stop clasping to it or that the shaft area it locks into might start scuffing. Looks like the Fury and I think they should have made some minor cosmetic changes to the Fury or the Ripper/Cube body more to show more of a difference between the $40 vs. $250 version better.

The Intech Ripper was used n the driving range today and I'll have to say for a $40 driver it hit as well as my Taylor Made R7 Draw. I was hoping since it was a regular flex Adila shaft on the Ripper that it'd go a but longer than my TM with a stiff flex Adila NV 75S shaft, it went just as far though around 225-245 yards so it's the same distance as my current driver. The plus I'd have to say that surprised me was that I got consistent straight draws with only a few draws hit and actually no slices at all which I am prone to. So for the price I'd have to say the club is good, didn't know the carbon on the head is only a decal! So after use on the course two days and on the driving range this club is good for a high handicapper like me. Just to have another test I will compare my hits using my friend's Nike Sasquatch driver vs. the Intech Ripper.

Score: 3 out of 5

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have actually tried the Nike Sasquatch vs. the Intech Ripper driver. I saw the square Nike driver on sale and bought it on the same day that I decided to give the much less expensive Ripper a try. I took both out to the driving range and proceeded to hit with the Ripper. I was stunned at its performance! Straight, long, seemingly effortless drives at well over 250 yards. I thought, well, if the inexpensive Intech could do that, then surely this big Nike would push me past 300 yards. I grabbed the Nike and with the first mighty swing, I heard the characteristic "clank" and -- a mere 150 yards! After mustering strength out of my disbelief, I wound up again and swung right out of my golf shoes. This time, I achieved a blistering 151 yards. Well, back went the Nike and since then, I have purchased an array of Intech drivers and hybrids as well as the Orlimar Fury II cube head driver. I highly recommend the Affinity Power Cube with it's stiffer Aldila shaft (even though it says intermediate flex) and Winn grip.

Since then, I have beaten these clubs mercilessly at the driving range and on the course and my game has turned from agony to glory. My friends have tried my
Ripper and other Intech drivers and we've laughed all the way through the course in amazement at the distance and accuracy of these drivers.

I also tried the Ripper against my Adams Golf Super Shaft 454cc driver. Although slightly longer, the Adams was harder to hit straight and did not have the clean "click" the Ripper provides.

I also purchased the "XGen" version of the Riper for a mere $10. I purchased several, actually. It supposedly has a titanium face and a slightly stiffer but non-Aldila shaft. Same results. I had that club re-gripped with a sticky Winn grip, which allows me to get maximum control over my drives. I'll probably re-grip one of my Rippers as well as the other wonderful 3, 4, and 5 Intech hybrids and square fairway woods that I've added to my arsenal.

On the driving range, I tend to watch other golfers and see how far and straight they drive with their equipment. Guys twice my size and with clubs five times as expensive cannot beat me and my Ripper. Some have come up to me to ask what I'm using and they too have been stunned at the Ripper's performance, particularly when I tell them the price.

I'm surely no pro, and I don't get out on the course nearly as much as I'd like, but when I do, these inexpensive Intechs have made me day dream for the next 18 holes to the point of distraction!

Get a Ripper, save your money for green fees, and play golf!

golfshop said...

golf drivers on the market today vary in their characteristics and appeal. Some brands can be considered the best, according to the abilities of golfers and personal preferences. There are excellent conductors for seasoned golfers and there are opportunities for very forgiving those who have a high handicap. He is the best budget officer, was branded as the epitome of cool (by cool celebrity endorsers to start) and there are those who certainly help golfers reach their full potential. Most professional golfers want a golf driver that has a solid technology.

progolfar said...

here is included some valuable resources, thanks a lot

Comics Alliance